[stella] AI primer?

Subject: [stella] AI primer?
From: Ruffin Bailey <rufbo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 23:02:02 -0400
First, a quick thank you for Color Tweaker.  Very nice.  (and a nod to The
Dig once again)  I can only hope Thomas's Tune2600 is as useful for sound as
Color Tweaker seems to be for color! (regardless of Tune2600's being written
for DOS *sigh* :^D)

But today's question is, "Where do I go for a Atari 2600 AI primer?"  I've
been thinking about playing some Robocode
(http://robocode.alphaworks.ibm.com/home/home.html) just for the fun of it
and to start thinking AI, but that's, natch, a little high-level for the
2600.

I was trying to think of games that had decent AI on the 2600 -- KABOOM!
would not be on the list, nor would Space Invaders, nor River Raid, nor
Barnstorming, nor Vanguard...  In fact I could think of very little short of
the ghosts in Pac-Man and the bat in Adventure for AI, and even those are
just more patterns with a few rules, I'd imagine.  Nothing struck me as even
doing a real good job of pretending to have convincing AI -- Star Raiders
and Bezerk are kinda close, perhaps?  Nothing on the level I'd like,
however.

I'm trying to make a game inspired by Adept (Archon II), and now that I've
very nearly got two animated characters playable with, um, human supplied
intelligence, I was hoping to take a break from the tedium of dreaming up 5
to 8 more characters and start looking into AI for a one-player game,
specifically with the mano-a-mano stuff.  Hardly a make-or-break
proposition, but I thought it might be fun.

Ah yes, I also updated the little player graphic creation tool to open from
the system clipboard, which makes things much more useful, I believe.  Copy
from your favorite text editor and voila.  Still at
http://homepage.mac.com/mactari/mactari/grpxTool/ for now.

Thanks,

Ruffin Bailey