Re: [stella] Robot City (alpha)

Subject: Re: [stella] Robot City (alpha)
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 00:30:03 +0200
Fabrizio Zavagli wrote:
> I find the idea very intriguing and most of all, as you said, not abused on
> other 2600 games.
> How long have you been coding undercover to get this demo out? :)

Let me see... hmm... it started about five weeks ago.

> - I'm having some troubles in directing the helicopter's fire. It could be
> interesting to have the helicopter stop if you keep the fire button pressed,
> and have the joystick movement direct your fire. This would allow to shoot
> in a direction without having to move towards (close) enemies and therefore
> getting killed.

Yes, I'm not 100% happy with the control yet. Though you can reverse at
any time, sometimes you are to close. But a stopping helicopter before
shooting is also not exactly what I want. Maybe some recoil when
shooting might help.

> - I've found myself getting trapped into corners on the 1st maze, and having
> to wait for death without a chance to survive as enemy tanks come towards
> me. It could be interesting to have the player's fire randomly roll the tank
> in another direction if you hit the tank on the shield... This would give a
> chance to make it in such occasions. To avoid getting the game too easy, you
> could limit the number of times you can "roll" a tank (and color-code it),
> or have the tank move faster each time you hit it, or have it go "berzerk"
> if you hit it too much...
> I recognize that's a pretty big change, but would avoid some of the "pacman
> frustration" :)

Hm, wouldn't that be unfair? Normally the tank would have to make a
U-turn and show you his unshielded back. But some penalty for an
'emergence escape' might be a good idea, though color coding won't work,
because the helicopter color is based on two of the tank colors
(ChronoColor, Tm of Andrew ;-).

> Other than that... woww! :)

Thanks!

I have attached a slightly changed version (v0.11), where killed tanks
will be revived when other tanks come close. It still has a little bug,
that sometimes causes revived tanks to go through walls, but it's a bit
more challenging. :-)

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |