RE: [stella] Need an opinion (or two) on a playfield

Subject: RE: [stella] Need an opinion (or two) on a playfield
From: "Billy Eno" <ceno@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 23:51:33 -0500
You don't have to be sorry, it is pretty bad.  I checked the archives and it
seems like your 4 color playfield may work.  I had tried several things with
flicker, but all that flickering concentrated in the center of the screen
just seemed bad, though I haven't been able to see it on a real tv yet (new
supercharger on its way...).  Is the flickering pretty reasonable looking?

I read plenty of descriptions of the 4-color playfield, but found only one
bin in the archive, and no source (the link to it is dead.)  My impression
is that you create the 4 colors using the two alternating playfield colors,
the color the playfields create when overlapped, and the background?

I may also just remove the 4th color, the playfield looks substantially
better when I put the stripes on the "tiles" every other line instead of
every third.  I am still hopeful about figuring some way to represent the 4
different states.

As for the interleaving, it is an interesting challenge, I think I need to
quiz Chris Wilkson about it some more.

Billy