Re: [stella] Interlacing Success!

Subject: Re: [stella] Interlacing Success!
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 17:12:38 -0700
Could you post a graphic without the chronocolor that just attempts to show the interlace as a proof of concept?

Flicker can easily be interpreted as interlace so you don't want to introduce deliberate flicker into the playfield just for the proof of concept.

To my eyes I can't see any difference between the interlace and noninterlace BINs.

A good sample would be to zone the playfield out like this:

10 scanlines of:
FIELD1  RED
FIELD2  GREEN

This should appear as 30hz flicker on the red and the green, where either the red shows over black or the green shows over black. TWICE AS THIN as the usual 2600 scanline, though. That's the important thing, the apparent height of the scanlines.

then 10 scanlines of
FIELD1 RED
FIELD2 BLACK

This should appear as 30hz flicker on the red isolated, TWICE AS THIN as the usual 2600 scanline.

then 10 scanlines of
FIELD1 BLACK
FIELD2 GREEN

This should appear as 30hz flicker on the green isolated, TWICE AS THIN as the usual 2600 scanline.

then 2 scanlines of
Field1 RED
FIELD2 RED

then 2 scanlines of
Field1 GREEN
FIELD2 GREEN

These two zones would show up like a normal 2600 scanline in height except with the interlace flicker visible, similar to the output of the Bally game systems (Astrocade, Wizard of Wor/Gorf).