Re: [stella] Thin Red Line bugs

Subject: Re: [stella] Thin Red Line bugs
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 20:14:00 +0200
Rodrigo wrote
> althought I think #$40 or #$42 is more appropriate)
Yup, red is $4x.

>	STA ENAM0	; Btw, is it ok to enable an object even before the
>			; 1st Vsync?
Should be no problem. And the object is invisible as long as VBLANK
is active.

>	LDA #2
>	STA VBLANK
>	STA VSYNC
>	STA WSYNC
>	STA WSYNC
>	STA WSYNC
>	LDA #0
>	STA VSYNC
That code might not work on a real VCS, because it might doing lesss than
3 VSYNCed lines, if the first WSYNC is happening a bit late in that line.

>	LDX #37		; Set the loop counter: 37 vertical blank lines
>VBlankLoop
>	DEX		; DEX is the 1st statement of the loop, so loop counter
>	STA WSYNC	; ranges from 36 to 0, which i think is a good
>	BNE VBlankLoop	; convention. Btw, is it?

Sure. Or you can loop down to -1, which is sometimes easier to
code (e.g. for table access).

> Btw, Im aware that a HMOVE must
>; be *immediatly* after a WSYNC, but... being just a single BNE
> apart could be considered "immediatly after" ?

IIRC no, that already will change the positioning. There are some
tricks you can do with HMOVE (search the archives for "weird;HMOVE"),
but as a beginner you should always position it *directly* after
a WSYNC.

Have fun!
Thomas