Re: [stella] Interlacing Success!

Subject: Re: [stella] Interlacing Success!
From: "Clay Halliwell" <clay.h@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 23:21:31 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Davie" <adavie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <stella@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2002 1:51 AM

> The '2600 programs to date have only been sending 262/312 lines to the TV,
> but - and here's the crucial bit - the TV has been effectively displaying
> the same data for two frames.  So lines (if you really look) are actually
> two TV lines tall.

No, they're not. They're only one scanline tall, because the 2600 (and
almost every pre-32-bit game system), puts out the same field continuously
(one frame is composed of two interlaced fields, remember?). Why do you
think so many emulators have a "scan line" mode that blanks alternate lines?
The only classic system I'm aware of that generates an interlaced display is
the Bally Astrocade, and the difference is readily apparent.

It seems like you've misread the entire nature of this accomplishment. It
causes the 2600 to generate an interlaced display, which is *not* the case
normally.

Clay