Re: [stella] Maze Generation

Subject: Re: [stella] Maze Generation
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:58:38 +0200
Manuel Polik wrote:
>For my planned RPG I'd love to be able to create a deeper
>dungeon within a single frame. Do you think it can get that
>quick?
>(For the details, I'm planing on having a Maze Craze type
>dungeon, but >using PF1 & PF2 only)
That will depend on the rules of the maze. And there are at
least two ways to build a maze: remove or add walls.

In Robot City I'm adding the walls. My rules are:
1. there must be at least one wall at each 'wall connection
point'
2. dead ends are not allowed
3. all area must be connected

#1 is very easy (and fast) and after some thinking and try-and-
error, I found a fast way for #2 too that still accepts the
first rule.
But #3 requires either some heavy restrictions while adding
walls (which I don't like) or some kind of floodfill, that
checks, if both sides of the wall are still connected. That
part is most time consuming now and the duration can be quite
long, especially if the way from point A to point B is quite
long after adding the wall.

One could also try to implement some tracing code that finds a
way from A to B, but I'm not sure, if that is much faster.

Have fun!
Thomas