Re: [stella] goodtools?

Subject: Re: [stella] goodtools?
From: "tim lindner" <tlindner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 06:15:35 -0700
>> > Does anyone know the algorithm good tools uses to recognize roms?  I
>> > assume that it is some sort of check sum.  Is it a hash, or something as
>> > simple as adding all the bytes of a binary togather?
>>
>> It stores a CRC for each ROM and compares it to a calculated CRC.
>> It calculates the CRC the exact same way ZIP does. The code should be in
>> the ever popular zlib library.
>>
> Thanks.  Does it yield exactly the same values as the gnu implimentation?

I think so. But I am not sure.

> Is this sort of thing consistant, or does it change per implementation?

Implementation of zlib, or implementation of GoodTools?

I think all of the zip librarys produce the same value, that would be how
they remain compatiable.

I also think GoodTools has always used the same algorithm.

--
tim lindner                         tlindner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Life. Don't talk to me about life." - Marvin, the android