Re: [stella] Skeleton - a new game

Subject: Re: [stella] Skeleton - a new game
From: Erik Eid <eeid@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 09:20:36 -0400
On Thursday 29 August 2002 09:50 am, Eric Ball wrote:
> Just in time for Labour Day weekend, a new game to try.

Great!  Welcome aboard!

> I've tested it out using both Z26 and Cyberstella (no illegal opcodes
> either so PCAE should work too), but I would appreciate knowing how it
> behaves on the real thing.

I played it on a 2600 using a Supercharger yesterday.  It seems to work fine.
 I didn't encounter any screen rolling or other instability.

It also works on the Stella emulator, version 1.2 for Linux.

> And if anyone has modified their VCS for stereo, I will be very interested
> in finding out how well that works.

I have not, but I could swear that some of the sounds were different when the
skeleton was behind me than ahead of me.  Maybe I was just really getting
into the game and my brain made the necessary changes to the sound on its
own.  :)

> right now I just want comments on the gameplay.

I was fondly remembering my dungeon-crawling days playing the early Ultima
and Wizardry games.  I am impressed to see a similar display (wireframe,
90-degree angle movement) on a 2600.  Nice work!  (Now all we need is an RPG
engine and a battery backup and we're all set for an Ultima port.  ;) )

I did wish on several occasions that I could move backward without turning
around.  It would be very nice to be able to back up, particularly if the
skeleton is uncomfortably close.

It look me a little while to get used to the lack of a drawn ceiling.  I
thought of suggesting adding one in, but I'm not sure how useful it would
really be.

I know when you press the button that you are using some kind of weapon.  It
wasn't until I saw another message referring to shooting that I had any idea
you don't have to be right next to the skeleton to hit it!  It will be a very
helpful visual confirmation that you indeed made an attack - whether or not
it is successful - if you show a brief sword swipe or a magic bolt going into
the distance.

Will there ever be more than one skeleton in the maze at one time?  Will you
have to defeat more than one to advance to the next maze?  Will mazes be of
different sizes?  (A large one might be easier to get lost in, while a small
one will be claustrophobic, especially considering the skeleton will always
be closeby.)

Anyway, if I bought this (or at least what it will become) in a bargain bin,
I would be pleased with my luck.  I look forward to seeing this game evolve.