Re: [stella] Skeleton - a new game

Subject: Re: [stella] Skeleton - a new game
From: "Eric Ball" <eball@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 22:59:36 -0400
Erik Eid:
> I have not, but I could swear that some of the sounds were different when
the skeleton was behind me than ahead of me.  Maybe I was just really
getting into the game and my brain made the necessary changes to the sound
on its own.  :)

The volume is different depending on whether the skeleton is ahead or
behind you.  But I also vary the volume of the "left" and "right" as well.

> I did wish on several occasions that I could move backward without
turning around.  It would be very nice to be able to back up, particularly
if the skeleton is uncomfortably close.

I just consider that part of the challenge.  You have to turn & run, not
just backpedal.

> It look me a little while to get used to the lack of a drawn ceiling.  I
thought of suggesting adding one in, but I'm not sure how useful it would
really be.

A celing would mess up the look of the walls when you are facing a Y
intersection.

> I know when you press the button that you are using some kind of weapon.
It wasn't until I saw another message referring to shooting that I had any
idea you don't have to be right next to the skeleton to hit it!  It will be
a very helpful visual confirmation that you indeed made an attack - whether
or not it is successful - if you show a brief sword swipe or a magic bolt
going into the distance.

You shouldn't be able to hit the skeleton unless it's in your sights.  The
skeleton should flash when you do hit it.  However, when you press the
button, your weapon does fire; even if the skeleton isn't in view.  And it
takes some time to reload....

> Will there ever be more than one skeleton in the maze at one time?
Nope, one at a time.

> Will you have to defeat more than one to advance to the next maze?
Ten skeletons gets you to the next maze.  Eight mazes in all.

> Will mazes be of different sizes?  (A large one might be easier to get
lost in, while a small one will be claustrophobic, especially considering
the skeleton will always be closeby.)

No, all of the mazes are the same "size" but I will be generating brand new
mazes at some point and I will make some of the mazes different (less
branches/intersections, longer/shorter corridors)