Re: [stella] Star Fire: Shootable!

Subject: Re: [stella] Star Fire: Shootable!
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 13:07:01 +0200
Hi Glenn!

>If you do it in playfield it's going to be blocky and might be more
>difficult to update in the kernel vs. the ball.

It's always a compromise, any way it's done. :-)

When using the ball for the missiles, I'd have to blank out the complete
starfield while a shot is on its way... Awww!

The PF lasers will be as blocky as shown in the GIF, yes.

The missile lasers will have crap colors.

BTW: All non-sprite solutions might add to flicker indirect as well,
since I might need to double the repositinoning line to make 'em
possible. This will increase the vertical size of the sprites, so
there's less of them fitting on the screen, so there's more flicker,
too...

I've no clue how to continue :-)

I already said to Thomas that I'd try heading for any other solution, if
I'd feel positive that the result would really be an improvement of the
current status quo, but right now I'm not pleased with any alternative.

Well, right now I'm uncertain between:

- Going the blocky PF route by doing 4 reposition lines instead of 2.

- Trying to improve the look & feel of the current sprite-lasers, plus
reducing the flicker in general(I've some ideas here...)

Where do you want me to go today? :-)

Greetings,
     Manuel
--