Re: [stella] Star Fire: Shootable!

Subject: Re: [stella] Star Fire: Shootable!
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 09:24:29 -0700
At 01:07 PM 10/1/2002 +0200, you wrote:
When using the ball for the missiles, I'd have to blank out the complete
starfield while a shot is on its way... Awww!

Have you experimented with blanking out the laser on the scanlines the missiles are in? If that looks too obvious you can introduce intentional gaps in the lasers in a random distribution between the stars to mask the fact that the stars are chopping into the laser. That way when you move up and down you might not see the gaps move because in sync with the stars it will just blend into the noise pattern. If you combined that approach with the dashed-line approach it might work.

That way you can have a particle-like effect.

I think the playfield would look okay but only if you crunched down the cannons so that instead of coming from each corner of the screen they are closer to the horizon line so that you'd be drawing a natural 1-pixel high diagonal. This might not look very good with a quad-laser configuration but I think it would look okay with just two laser coming from below the horizon line.

I also think flicker on the lasers themselves, if you need that, is fine due to the nature of the laser. You can rationalize it. You can even rationalize flicker on the stars. So I'd prioritize the flicker to favor the ships over just about everything else.