Re: [stella] My First Atari 2600 Game

Subject: Re: [stella] My First Atari 2600 Game
From: Christopher Tumber <christophertumber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 18:48:17 -0400
>I don't have that problem, because I'm using the same distance
>between the sprites that you use. Or did you mean something
>different?

Yeah, I released it as soon as I'd sent that email off... Some reason I'd gotten the impression you were using the tight formation despite your previous post which said otherwise (Sigh, never claimed to be a morning person!!)

How are you getting the columns so far left? Usually doing the RESP0/RESP1 at the first visible cycle results in the sprites being displayed about 1/5 of the screen in (ie: The leftmost position on mine).. Are you using the wrap around from drawing 13 (I believe it was 13..) copies? I tried that but found the gap after the last wrap around and the first "real" sprite to be too wide.  Hmm, gonna have to boot my girlfriend off the TV and take a look at it on the real thing...

>I know, but my first development was Thrust, which was going to
>become larger than 6K anyway. And z26 did a nearly perfect job
>for me then. I once had a chance for a Cuttle Cart, but
>unfortunately I missed it.

Yeh, I hear ya - For ages I did my Vectrex dev work with emulator and burning EPROMs (Like with the 2600 the emu is good, mostly, but not quite there for everything (ie: Neither Vectrex emulator draws curves quite properly...) and you periodically need a reality check on the real thing). I put off picking up the Cuttle Cart equivalent (VecRam) for ages but now that I've been using it for the last 6 months or so, I can't imagine being without it....

Chris...