Re: particle cannons (was Re: [stella] More flicker, please)

Subject: Re: particle cannons (was Re: [stella] More flicker, please)
From: Christopher Tumber <christophertumber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 19:54:00 -0400
>The problem with pure shifting is the crosshair, I
>didn't find a general rule to compute the whole PF
>appearance in a reasonable # of cycles on the fly.

Do the crosshair on an overlay?

Ah, sorry wrong mailing list! (smile)

Seriously, a couple thoughts - Do the "missiles" actually have to appear on the same scanline as the crosshair? Won't the motion towards the center lead the viewer to assume they're continuing to the center even if they stop a scanline before? Particularly if they hit something, there's no need to worry about it.

Another thing, you know how in Battlezone the sights change when there's an enemy tank in the crosshairs? Could you do something like that but change the sight while firing to get them out of the way?

What if you did an effect where the crosshairs pulse (fade in and out), and time it so the crosshairs are "off" every time a missile reaches the center?

(Or take some combination of the two and animate the sights so that they're always out of the way...)

Probably all way outta left field and just more trouble, but....

Chris...