Re: [stella] My First Atari 2600 Game

Subject: Re: [stella] My First Atari 2600 Game
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 09:20:51 +0200
Christopher wrote:
>How are you getting the columns so far left? Usually doing the
RESP0/RESP1 at the first visible cycle results in the sprites
being displayed about 1/5 of the screen in (ie: The leftmost
position on mine).. Are you using the wrap around from drawing
13 (I believe it was 13..) copies? I tried that but found the
gap after the last wrap around and the first "real" sprite to
be too wide.  Hmm, gonna have to boot my girlfriend off the TV
and take a look at it on the real thing...

IIRC it's a combination of late RESP and changing NUSIZ. I also
tried to use HMOVE to blank what's left over, but not in that
version.

>Yeh, I hear ya - For ages I did my Vectrex dev work with
emulator and burning EPROMs (Like with the 2600 the emu is
good, mostly, but not quite there for everything (ie: Neither
Vectrex emulator draws curves quite properly...) and you
periodically need a reality check on the real thing).

Fortunately z26 is better, I didn't even have to burn a ROM.
And for the very last tests, Eckhard Stolberg was very helpful
(as always!).

The main problems of all 2600 emulators are with weird HMOVE
and RESPx tricks and with early overwriting the contents of the
HMxy registers while HMOVE is still active.

Normally that's no problem at all, because they emulate all
*existing* games very perfect (they are tested on real hardware
:-), but during new developments, you make mistakes that
sometimes aren't emulated correct.

And there is a problem, when you are developing for an yet
unsupported controller. But then again, there is always
Eckhard... ;-)

Have fun!
Thomas