Re: [stella] The FAQ as it stands

Subject: Re: [stella] The FAQ as it stands
From: "Mark Graybill" <saundby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 21:41:34 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: Ruffin Bailey <rufbo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <stella@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 10:20 PM

> > 10.2 How do I port Quake III and Unreal Tournament to the VCS?
>
> Ha.  I'm looking forward to the answer to this FAQ entry.  Maybe you
> should suggest starting with Quake II, since the source has been
> released under GPL already.  :^)

Nah, that would be too easy. In fact, I think it would be best to _combine_
both Quake III and UT and port them both at one go, maybe have them as
different game selections (at worst, do a XONOX-style double-ender with both
on it.) It solves _so_ many problems, including the holy war over which is
best among the players. And think of all the red faces on folks who've been
pouring big bucks into upgrading their computer systems every ten
milliseconds with the latest CPUs, graphics cards, RAM, motherboards, and
overclocking accessories when they could have just held on to their trusty
old VCS and done the same thing at the cost of a cart.

And heck, Halo could be thrown in as a game selection using the extra ROM
space.

The 7800 versions could even be multi-monitor like the original DOOM to get
that wrap-around feel. I'll have to come up with a multi-monitor hardware
hack for the console, though.

> Looks good!

Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting back to it, so that I can deal with
some of the stuff I left hanging.