Re: [stella] I need your help for Climber5

Subject: Re: [stella] I need your help for Climber5
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 09:53:29 +0200
Hi Dennis!

>Here are my issues:
>1) Z26 is reporting that I am producing too many scan
lines. Testing for NTSC I am producing ~274 lines. I
have set the timers appropriately but it seems that I am
spending too much time in VBLANK. Is the timer affected
by WSYNCs?

Actually, VBLANK + VSYNC + OVerscan ~ 70 lines, so that
is fine. The weird formula on the bottom of your kernel
might be the problem:

   ldx tvType
   lda KernelScanlines,x
   sec
   sbc #[[4+GRPHEIGHT]*NUMGRP]+1
   tax

Whatever you think it does, maybe it does different...
:-)

Maybe if you'd replace that with:

   ldy tvType
   ldx RestScanlines,y

?

At least it saves 2 bytes :-)

>and THE BIG ONE...
>3) My horizontal movement is not smooth on the real
console. When I run this in Z26 the motion is smooth and
just like I want it. On the real console I'm getting
jittery motion from the obstacles and the main player
jumps back and forth horizontally. I'm using the same
routine from Oystron and SCSIcide. To set RESPx I have
to start the decrement at cycle number 13 to make the
coarse positioning come out right. It works for these
but not for me :( I'm positioning my main player during
VBLANK and the obstacles are positioned in the kernel.

Hm... at one point you're doing

   sta WSYNC                     ; end the current scan
   sta VBLANK                    ; end the VBLANK period
   sta HMOVE

Maybe swapping HMOVE & VBLANK will help?

Greetings,
	Manuel