Re: [stella] Yet Another Final Version...

Subject: Re: [stella] Yet Another Final Version...
From: "Clay Halliwell" <clay.h@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 01:51:08 -0500
First I want to say, this is the closest thing to arcade Space Invaders I've
yet seen grace the 2600.

Now, I'm assuming you're trying to get as close to SI as possible, in which
case there's still a few things you can do to get even closer--

The saucer is way too fast. It should move about half as fast as it does
now. It should also be narrower.

The invaders start too low on the screen. Makes it feel like the pressure is
on from the moment you start.

The middle two rows of invaders are out of sync with each other.

The  invader shot speed seems to be linked to the invader movement speed.
Shouldn't be.

The middle and bottom invaders, shields, and your base can all be tweaked to
look more like the arcade. Currently the bottom invaders don't look much
like the arcade at all.

The bottom line above the score should be only one scanline tall.

Is there enough time left in the kernel to set the background color to
simulate the colored overlays in the arcade?

Clay