Re: [stella] Revolutionary Horizontal position discovered!

Subject: Re: [stella] Revolutionary Horizontal position discovered!
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 30 Oct 2002 18:26:34 -0000
> Hi there, fellow ASM wizards!

and lowly apprentices trying not to blow ourselves
up with the potions again

> Check out this magic treasure and sing halleluja! :-)
>
> Found in Battlezone:
>
> LD7E0: CMP    #$11    ;2
>        BCS    LD7EA   ;2
>        SBC    #$04    ;2
>        BCS    LD7EA   ;2
>        ADC    #$A5    ;2
> LD7EA: STA    WSYNC   ;3
>        STA    HMOVE   ;3
>
> LD7EE: SBC    #$0F    ;2
>        BCS    LD7EE   ;2 ->5 cycles per iteration!
>
>        EOR    #$07    ;2
>        ASL            ;2
>        ASL            ;2
>        ASL            ;2
>        ASL            ;2
>        TAY            ;2
>        STA    RESP0,X ;4
>        STA    WSYNC   ;3
>        STA    HMOVE   ;3
>        RTS            ;6
>
> What do you think?

I think I don't quite understand it.
I keep meaning to write a minifaq about the typical
math operations...is it something you'd run in
the VBLANK, to put stuff right where it belongs
based on a variable holding the horizontal position?

How deep is your understand of Battlezone at this point?
For me, it stands as one of the premier technical achievements
on that system...I'm amazed at how it seems to mimic a serious
VR world (in a way that Robot Tank doesn't).  Is it all
smoke and mirrors?  Is it storing things internally as a 2D
X Y grid, or is everything relative to the central tank, more
akin to polar coordinates? It's pretty frickin' amazing,
plus a radar, great tread animation, and superb "you got
hit, monitor signal breaking up" effect.

 "SANTA HAS A TUMOR IN HIS HEAD THE SIZE OF AN OLIVE. MAYBE IT WILL GO
  AWAY TOMORROW BUT I DON'T THINK SO."
    --sign language by Crumpet the Macy's SantaLand Elf (David Sedaris)