Re: [stella] another prototype to check out...

Subject: Re: [stella] another prototype to check out...
From: Ben Larson <wazzapfool@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 06:48:52 -0800 (PST)
--- Andrew Davie <adavie@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Couple of comments on this version...
> 1) I fired a shot which went (IMHO) straight through
> my opponent.  The shot
> was traveling nearly vertically downwards, at rate,
> and destroyed the blocks
> (2) directly under the opponent.  The opponent then
> dropped down to where
> the blocks used to be.  A second shot from me with
> no changes to
> elevation/power killed the tank.

Hmm...this could be a bug in the version I posted, or
it could just be that the shot was going so fast that
it was just before the enemy tank on one frame, and
just after the tank on the next frame...although I
didn't think this could happen.  Either way I need to
look into it.  One quick question though: was the
enemy tank sitting on the topmost part of the terrain
by any chance?

> 2) My tank started with the very front-part hanging
> over a block, but 90% of
> it over blank space.  Looked very odd.

Yes, if no collision is detected and the tank isn't at
the very bottom of the screen, it just gets moved
downward.  I agree it does sort of look like something
you'd see in a bugs bunny cartoon or something. :)

With some extra logic I suppose I could do some
checking and move the tank over in situations like
this if I have space left over after the AI and sound
is implemented.  But then I'd probably also have to
change the way I store tank X positions, which isn't
actually stored in 'screen pixel location' but instead
coarse/fine movement combination.  The only time I
convert to actual X coordinates is when a shot gets
fired (because I need the X position of the shot for
terrain damage & screen-edge detection).

> Otherwise, a quick play was quite fun - I'd love to
> see a visual indication
> of the elevation by a gun barrel animation or
> something.

Thanks!  Should be even better once I get around to
doing the computer AI (should be this week).

As far as the visual indication, I was thinking a cool
idea *would* be to have like a little 'zoom' window at
the top or bottom of the scren (like the skier guy in
EPYX's 'Winter Games' for the 2600) to show this...but
unfortunately I don't think there's any way I can do
this and fit the game into 4K, which is what I was
kind of shooting for...

Ben