Re: [stella] [POLL]What is everybody working on?

Subject: Re: [stella] [POLL]What is everybody working on?
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 5 Nov 2002 15:04:02 -0000
> On Tuesday 05 November 2002 09:40, Ruffin Bailey wrote:
> > The most complicated part of Jumpman, afaict, is the AI for the
> > danged two missiles that rove around the screen.  Getting those to
> > react intelligently is a little outside of my scope, at least for
>
> I always thought they just worked like this: if player's X or Y is equal to
> the bullet's X or Y, and a random value exceeds a certain amount, make a
> noise and accelerate towards the player.  Never really even seemed like AI to
> me, and I finished both Jumpman Jr. and Jumpman back in the day ;)

Finished? Wow, those games were tough.
I always jonesed for a construction set for that game, but really, that
would only be plausible for the screen layout, and what really interested
me about the games was the variety of enemies that had different behavior.

Anyway, re: the bullet behavior: it's been a while, but yeah. I thought
each bullet started as either a horizontal or vertical slow traveller,
and then if it lined up with the player it would "fire" and go faster
(then again, I forget whether or not if it would fire if the player
"crossed its path" (you step in front of it and it starts going faster)
or if it could reverse itself as it fired if you "crossed its trail".

Still, not really an AI issue

"the day that you die will be like any other day, only shorter." --Beckett