Re: [stella] voice synth thing

Subject: Re: [stella] voice synth thing
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 12:14:26 -0500
On Wednesday 06 November 2002 11:56, Ruffin Bailey wrote:
> Somebody's still gotta make the first carrot, though, right?  How would
> you implement that with bankswitching, again?

Not implementing it with bankswitching, but writing to a trigger location the
way most bankswitching schemes work.  Isn't that also how Pitfall 2 handled
its music?  This ought to be even simpler as you're talking about writing a
single byte indicating which sample to play next (assuming that Vectrex thing
works in a similar manner to the Odyssey2 Voice.)  The speech synth would
have to have its own speaker or other means of audio output, but so would the
Vectrex one.

I wonder if anyone's ever disassembled Spike for the Vectrex to see how they
implemented their very passable software speech synth.  Of course a 1.6MHz
6809 where you can make your kernel take as long or short as you want is
probably more amenable to that kind of thing than the 2600.

Archives (includes files) at
Unsub & more at