[stella] PAL Conversion Preferences

Subject: [stella] PAL Conversion Preferences
From: Christopher Tumber <christophertumber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 00:55:40 -0500
So I'm looking through the archives for NTSC-2-PAL info and notice:

Eckhard Stolberg wrote:

>There is no need for this. Most PAL TVs can handle 60 Hz VCS output
>quite nicely. The picture will be vertically centered with black
>bars above and below. It's only important that you do 3 uninterrupted
>scanlines of VSYNC. And it would be better, if you'd turn on VBLANK
>after the last line of display to make sure that the black bars really
>are black.

Given that I'm not going to go through and make all my sprites 19% taller*, &etc should I just keep it at 262 scanlines and let the TV handle the centering? I was just going to add blank scanlines before and after the real gamescreen to pad out to 312 scanlines. Is there a consensus as to the best way to go?

So I'd really just be fixing the palette (wow, no yellows! Well, at least it's better than that SECAM palette! Has anyone actually included SECAM support?)

Chris...

*Should I? It'd be really tough to squeeze in the extra sprite data... Will it really look squished on a PAL tv?