Re: [stella] PAL Conversion Preferences

Subject: Re: [stella] PAL Conversion Preferences
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 20:28:48 +0100
Hello Fabrizio,

> That's very reasonable, and most likely will be done!
> Just, I think not all customers will be aware whether their TV will
support
> PAL60.. but I don't see many other choices!

Most collectors probably have at least one NTSC game in
their collection. If that works with their TV, a PAL60
game most likely will work to, provided you are generating
a proper sync signal. People who are still unsure can
always order the PAL50 version just to be sure.

> Humm that's very interesting! I've got a PAL 7800 and have yet to modify
it.
> I thought I could be able to test it with the Cuttle Cart after the mod,
but
> you're telling me otherwise.. ouch!
> What could make the 7800 incompatible with the Cuttle Cart even after
> modification?

The 7800 starts at the higher system speed. Most of the
bankswitching logic on the Cuttle Cart is quite sensitive
to timing issues. During the devellopment of the CC there
were some lock-up problems due to this, but I think Chad
added a fix for that to the CC logic. Also the reason why
Atari put the extra circuit into the later models of the
7800 was because some of the superchip extra RAM games had
problems in the old models. And since the CC simulates these
cartridge types it might be possible that the CC would
suffer from the same problems.

After I removed the capacitor from my PAL 7800 (which is in
a different place than in the NTSC 7800, BTW) my Supercharger
is working nicely in it. So chances that the CC or SC would
work in a modified or old 7800 are pretty high. There just
is no guarantee, so if it doesn't work don't blame Chad or
me. ;-)

> Nice to know a 7800 RAM cart will play 2600 4k games.. Well I should get
> work and make myself one!

It plays those 4K games that are compiled for $F000.
But that shouldn't be a problem for homebrew titles.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg