Re: [stella] Star Fire: Meteor Dance 2!

Subject: Re: [stella] Star Fire: Meteor Dance 2!
From: Dennis Debro <ddebro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 14:58:13 -0500
Hi Manuel!

> I just finished doing it this way.

Just in time for my birthday :)

> No you must first
> shoot a meteor in order to turn it into a diamond, then
> you must keep it centered on the crosshair until it's
> collected.
>
> In the current version you'll already see how your
> shield get's refilled and you get points for every
> diamond collected.
>
> It'd be nice to have some feedback wether this is good
> playable, but keep in mind that this is just intended to
> be a neat bonus scene gimmick, not a game on its own.
> :-)

I'm going to have to see if I can connect my CC again. I find it a little difficult to play in Z26 with the flicker.

Are the diamonds cycling? It seems that when I shot a meteor and miss the diamond, it will show up again. I think you might want to just get rid of it if the player doesn't pick it up. If not it gives the illusion that the universe is round. Wasn't there a theory about that?

> Hm... I'm not sure yet. At present I'd like to just skip
> back to the transition screen, after either a timer is
> expired or after a certain # of meteors has crossed the
> screen.
>
> I'm not sure yet which is the better way. Probably a
> timer is not as good as a meteor counter, since in
> higher stages you've probably no chance to collect
> anything at all during only a few seconds :-)
>
> And I don't no wether I'll add some warping sequence. I
> think I rather don't, because it was a real pain already
> to get the "crash" scene screwed into the current
> display kernel and I don't think I can handle a third
> branch easily enough to be worth the effort.

The meteor count sounds good. Having them fly until there are no more would make a nice transition.

Take care,
Dennis