RE: [stella] Star Fire: 1 step forward 2 steps back :-)

Subject: RE: [stella] Star Fire: 1 step forward 2 steps back :-)
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 15:44:36 +0100
Hi Dennis!

> I thought about this again and I wonder if the
> problems I'm having are do to the CC. I know that
> Gunfight didn't work because of your copy protection.

No, there's no such code in it. I recently fell into the
next loophole for knocking out the CC, but this was
already fixed.

(For the record: CLD is not the worst of things to do
right after the cartridge entry :-))

> Has anyone burned an EPROM and given it a try?

I started looking for a burner, but all I find so far
are some "We burn all & everything machines for 300$+".

> Also, could it be the bankswitch setting I used to
> create the wav. I just let makewav select a bankswitch
> scheme for me by default.

It should be the normal Atari 8K scheme. F8 or what it's
called. But then I'm no expert on that... it's skipping
banks with BIT FFF8/FFF9, if that helps ;-)

As for the problems. Meanwhile I think all issues you
adressed can be traced down to the random number
generation. Something's getting dead wrong with it.

Can you please do me a favor and try this:

Please press fire+reset at once on Z26. You'll see some
great chaos, proving how well the Random numbers work.

Can you then try that on the CC and see wether you get a
similar result? If the screen is more or less stable,
this'd indicate that no random numbers are generated.

Greetings,
	Manuel