Re: [stella] Hardware Problems

Subject: Re: [stella] Hardware Problems
From: Mark De Smet <de-smet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 21:21:09 -0600 (CST)
I think the most likely cause is the wire length.  When I was making my
"anygame cart", I found that I could not use a long ribbon cable, but did
not have a problem when I kept all the wiring(cart connector to all
circuitry) less than 6in.  When I made my portable atari, I started with a
6 switch PCB, and used a ribbon cable to re-locate the cartridge
connector.  This cable is 3 inches long. with no connectors between.  My
portable has some problems with a few games, pitfall! being the most
likely to fail.  I have seen similar problems using a "rom scanner".

For development, I would recommend just using a "simpler" game.  If your
final product is enclosed in a cartridge, this shouldn't be a problem.

I did not spend the time to look at the signals on a scope to see was the
signal integrity is, but I'm sure that it is not good.

Mark