Re: [stella] F8 Bankswitching experiment

Subject: Re: [stella] F8 Bankswitching experiment
From: Dennis Debro <ddebro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 16:57:44 -0500
Hi Ronen,

> Understood. Now, I have a question in that matter: How many scan lines should I have?
> Reading Kirk's tutorial and the Stella guide I learned that in total I should have 262 scan lines (3+37+192+30). I checked one game using z26 -v9 and noticed that it has 280 scan lines. Why would that be? Shouldn't it have 262?

Glenn answered this one sometime ago but I can't find it in the archives now. In the Atari Graphics and Arcade Design book for the Atari 8-bit/5200 it states...

"The electron beam retraces its 192 line path sixty times a second. A television set actually scans 262 scan lines, but the average set can only display slightly more than 200 lines. The area above and below your rectangular playfield contains some of these extra lines. "

I think Glenn said that 200 scan lines for your kernal should be okay but I can't be sure.

Take care,
Dennis