Re: [stella] ROM image classifications

Subject: Re: [stella] ROM image classifications
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 13:19:44 -0500
On Saturday 14 December 2002 02:31, Glenn Saunders wrote:
> I suggested Atari Age expose an XML web service which emulators
> could use to synchronize its ROM definitions.  Since AA hosts ROMs, it's
> already almost like a global file-server for emulators.  If it also exposed
> ROM MD5 hashes and other metadata it would be pretty much there.

That does sound like a pretty nifty thing, though I'd want to see it
generalized so that in the event AtariAge goes down for a week or something,
we aren't all stuck. ;)

I agree with John that there should be some kind of plain text option, too.
The most popular 2600 emulators are written in languages which are rather
poorly suited to XML.  Of course I myself could write a CGI that did nothing
but generate a plain text list to emu authors' specifications from AtariAge's
hypothetical XML web service.  BTDT ;)

Rob