Re: [stella] Useless Information Department

Subject: Re: [stella] Useless Information Department
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 02:08:17 -0800
At 11:35 AM 12/19/2002 -0500, you wrote:
FWIW, you can use the sprite replication trick (sta RESP0/sta RESP1/sta RESP0) with the Missiles.

Why you would ever want to do this when the bitmaps available through the Player objects is much more usefull, I don't know (perhaps to preserve the Player's vertical positioning if you only need a very simple pattern?)

I could think of it being useful as a grid pattern for board games, providing a higher resolution grid than you could get with playfield. But then you'd still have to fill in the gaps with something. I'm assuming you can't manage a nonreflected playfield nor can you simultaneously do the RESP0 trick on the sprites with this trick, so you'd probably be limited to whatever you can do with the two players and the ball per line.

So I'm thinking the only use for it would be to use it in tandem with the other graphics.

I'm also thinking that depending on how precise you can get with the positioning of the cloned missile, if you used few enough of them per scanline you could potentially create denser starfields or more frantic shooters (think Gunfight) without having to rely on flicker as much.

I'd love to see a demo snowfall or starfield effect using this entirely with just missiles and see how densely packed you can fill the screen with random dots.