Re: [stella] Rubik Cube 3d

Subject: Re: [stella] Rubik Cube 3d
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 10:08:28 +0100
Hi,
Christopher wrote:
>I'm pretty confident that's how they did it. My demo isn't
generalised, doesn't load into RAM and could stand to be
optimised but I think it'll show this is the likely soloution.

And I'm 100% confident that they *could* have done it that way,
but they didn't. ;-)

If you look at the screenshots, you can see that the diagonals
always have the same width (4*4 = 16 pixel). In your demo the
diagonals are 3*4+3 = 15 pixels wide. And there is *no* way to
correct this, because 1 CPU cycle = 3 display pixels. So you
can only change the colors every n*3 pixel. So most of the
color writes have to happen hidden behind other currently
displayed objects.

IMO the solutions is much more complex, using PF, players AND
the background color to shine through (like Eckhard said).

But I have no code to prove this (yet).

Have fun!
Thomas