[stella] Intelligent Job-System idea

Subject: [stella] Intelligent Job-System idea
From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 10:19:19 +0100 (MET)
Hi there!

I'm currently thinking some advanced almost AI-like job system, since in Star Fire I've regular troubles of exceeding VBLANK time.

You might remember some earlier posts of mine, it's that giant switch-case thing that's handling all objects in Star Fire: Movement, Collision Detection, Respawning, etc.

Now I just though to add a little sanity check to the not-so-important-tasks.

Respawning for example. I don't ned doing that at any precise time, instead, I could do that only when there is still enough time left that particular frame.

Now, what would you think, if I'd start the Respawning code with something like that:

     LDA INTIM
     CMP #$05       ; more than 6*64 cycles left?
     BCC Continue
     RTS
Continue

Would this work on a real console? I've never seen such code, so I wonder wether this'd be reliable.

Greetings,
     Manuel
Arcor-Video on Demand, Ihre Online-Videothek, bietet Ihnen vom 23. Dezember
2002 bis zum 2. Januar 2003 100 festliche Filme zu funkensprühenden Preisen
Festtags-Movies und Silvesterknaller gibt es SCHON AB 99 CENT!
http://www.arcor.de/home/redir.php/FooterMD