Re: [stella] Homebrew cart distributors

Subject: Re: [stella] Homebrew cart distributors
From: Joe Grand <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 15:39:04 -0500
The per unit cost of rapid prototyping is WAY too high. The quotes I've gotten range from about $5 to $13 per set in quantities of 1000. Obviously, that doesn't fit the price model for a hobbyist community. If the per unit cost of RP can be brought down to less than $2 per set, then it could be a possibility, but unfortunately I don't think rapid prototyping will ever get down to the price points of injection molding.

With enough pre-orders for cart housings, the tool and shells could also be made, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that, as it requires people to pay money upfront for "vapor-ware", and even though I consider myself reputable, I've seen bad things happen (twice that I can think of in the classic gaming community alone)

Joe