[stella] Fu Kung! v0.0

Subject: [stella] Fu Kung! v0.0
From: "Andrew Davie" <adavie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 01:10:09 +1100
Hi Guys

As good a time as any to officially thank Eckhard Stolberg for handing over
his large-sprite-shell to me, to help me to get started on my fighting game.
Some of you may know I worked on a NES version of "Way of the Exploding
Fist" a while back - it was never released.  For this '2600 fighter, I'd
planned to use the large sprite demo to create two large fighters.
Eckhard's shell was an excellent introduction to the intricacies of creating
large players... and without his pioneering efforts I'd not even have
attempted this project.  So, once again - thanks, Eckhard.

Eckhard actually provided me with the complete code to his fighting game.
OK, now I ended up stripping a lot of his beautiful coding out, because my
approach to a fighting game is somewhat different - in look and design.
Eckhard's system could draw sprites of 48 x 42 pixels in size.  My sprites
are much larger - the attached demo shows my 'standard' frame size of 48 x
63 pixels, though the system can be extended to 48 x n without page/timing
problems.  Pretty damn huge.  I've designed the architecture so that I can
display sprites of any depth without timing/page problems, and I am
confident of fitting enough into my chosen ROM size to allow a good fighting
game (ie: enough frames).

Attached is my very first proof-of-concept alpha showing the extra-large big
sprite system.  It's just using random frame data at the moment, but the
next version should have some meaningful fighter-looking-graphics.  Any
artists who want to collaborate on this project (and get their name on the
credits) should put their hands up NOW!

As you can see - its 32K (!!) ...  to run this on Z26 you will need the -g11
switch - it probably won't work on anything else.  Sorry, no source code -
it is too experimental at this stage to be of worth to members of the list.

The working title of the project is "Fu Kung!" -  or maybe it should be "Fu
Kung Huge!"  ;)

Cheers