[stella] Cartridge dumper

Subject: [stella] Cartridge dumper
From: Adam Wozniak <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 23:44:41 -0800 (PST)
So I'm working on a 2600 cartridge dumper.  It's a little Scenix 8
bit micro with a cart slot, a serial port, and a little reset button.
Pop in a cart, hit reset, the data gets dumped out to the serial port.

I've got lots of time on my hands (see .sig, I'm available for consulting
work) so I decide I'm going to autodetect the bank switching scheme.

No big deal, except now I need test carts for each of the bank switching
schemes.

So far I have a 2K (Freeway), a 4K (Reactor), and F8 (Raiders of the
Lost Ark) and a DPC (Pitfall II).  Digging through my bag of goodies,
I cannot find any carts of other bank switching schemes.  My collection
is fairly small.  Can anyone name common carts of other schemes?  I hate
to go down to the local cart seller with a long stella.pro printout.

Also, I think I've found some errors/ omissions in Kevin Horton's
"sizes.txt" bank switching document.  For example, $1FF8 and $1FF9 do
not seem to be the only hot spots on F8 carts; $1FF7 also seems to be
active (and many others).  I don't think the hardware looks at the whole
address bus to switch banks.  Where is the CommaVid documentation?
Ditto for the DPC, although I think there's enough info in the patent
if I dig through all the patentese.

Also, would anyone be interested in buying a dumper like this?
My biggest cost is the PC board fab, which could be brought down if I
made a large order.

--
Will code for food.       http://cuddlepuddle.org/~adam/resume.html

adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        http://cuddlepuddle.org/~adam/pgp.html