Re: [stella] Reading Paddles?

Subject: Re: [stella] Reading Paddles?
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 01:36:39 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Chris Larkin wrote:

> I wanted to add paddle control to my recent game, as opposed to Joysticks like it uses now... and then I realised... I have no idea how to write for paddles...

Paddles are easy to read, but they waste a lot of precious kernel time.
It's explained elsewhere in this thread.

I wanted to point out that I had redone the driving controllers a while
back...added a couple of buttons (4 total, I think) and using up to 32
detent positions per revolution.  I did it with Death Derby in mind, but
other solutions were found, so I abandoned the project.

Another project I had considered was redoing the paddles so that you could
read them once per frame, outside the kernel.  But there were no takers
on that.

The problem with both of these projects is they would add to the list of
2600 controllers that are supported by only one game.  :P

If anyone's interested, I could work one up for trials...

-Chris