Re: [stella] Reading Paddles? -- Atari 2800 hybrid controllers

Subject: Re: [stella] Reading Paddles? -- Atari 2800 hybrid controllers
From: Ruffin Bailey <rufbo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 23:09:06 -0500
On Saturday, January 11, 2003, at 01:25 AM, Chris Wilkson wrote:

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Ruffin Bailey wrote:

While we're on the subject of paddles, there was that neat-o controller
for some type of 2600 that served as both a joystick and a [single]
paddle if you rotated it.

This was for the Coleco Gemini. Yes, it's a neat controller. But it limits
you to 2 paddle controllers at a time instead of 4.

Actually, turned out to be the Atari 2800 that I was thinking of.

http://www.atarihq.com/museum/2678/2800.html

Apparently a bigger seller in Japan. Here's the Sears version (there was no American version of the 2800 from Atari):
http://www.heimcomputer.de/english/konsolen/atari2800.html

There are apparently four ports on this thing, so you could actually have a four-person paddle game using the hybrid controllers. Having never seen it (but having one of the controllers around somewhere), I can't swear that's the truth, of course.

Naturally this would make for a perfect Ikari Warriors controller if you can (and, as the list has been kind enough to point out, you apparently can) read the paddle and the joystick at the same time! I walked through the SCSIcide code to see how to get the paddle to happen. Might have to give that a go if I get some time.

Thanks,

Ruffin Bailey