Re: [stella] VCS Hard Drive

Subject: Re: [stella] VCS Hard Drive
From: Paul Slocum <paul-stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 01:30:51 -0600

I think this would be a great way to implement an RPG type game on the 2600.
You could store lots of room/monster/character/game-state information in the
FIFO.

I've been working on an RPG for the 2600 and believe that it should be possible to fit a decent sized world into 32k using some simple compression. And it should be reasonable to save the game data using a code system. The plan is to use the keyboard controllers, so entering codes shouldn't be too bad (sure beats entering codes with the D-pad on the NES.)

Building a cart with battery backed RAM would be the next step up and Chris Wilkson had plans for a 128k cart with 32k battery backed RAM. But I think the RPG I've been planning should work fine in 32k and with the code system. It would be nice to have a SARA chip on board though. ;o)

-Paul