[stella] New Music Effects

Subject: [stella] New Music Effects
From: Paul Slocum <paul-stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 01:13:03 -0600
I figured out a couple of new music tricks. I got a nice phasing sound by changing the AUDFx register on one voice for a few cycles each beat. This shifts the phase a bit and if you play the same thing on both voices, you'll get a nice effect. I also figured out how to do a high-hat-ish sound without using either voice by just fiddling with the volume registers. It produces a little click that accents the rhythm. And I think the sound of the click can be improved with a little tweaking. The nice thing is that these effects use up almost no extra resources (CPU, memory or ROM.)

I've attached a ROM demo of the effects and I'm not sure how well these effects will emulate, so here's an MP3 of the demo recorded from my 2600 (800k):

http://www.mindspring.com/~paul-slocum/temp/2600_phase_hh.mp3

-Paul