Re: [stella] Collaboration

Subject: Re: [stella] Collaboration
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:58:06 -0800
This saves 4 cycles.

Currently this still doesn't fit well into the existing kernel, but I
already know how to save 11 bytes and with some compromises we might
even get the whole 22 bytes.

If we stick to plan A and keep the zombies no farther to the edges of the screen than inside the 8-pixels of the safe-zones then maybe you will have enough breathing room for this?

If not, worst case scenario if we are running out of RAM we could increase the height of the tombstones and drop a row out, saving 4 bytes of RAM.

But if we need more than 4 bytes of RAM we'll be in trouble.

Is there any way some of the Y coordinate bytes can be reused as temp variables during VBLANK calculation? I'm thinking they could, since they are merely half the value of their fullres equivalents so they keep getting refreshed each frame. If the last thing we do is update the final Y coordinate bytes, then those bytes should be up for grabs for other purposes, just nothing that will live longer than one VBLANK period.

MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail