Re: [stella] Stella Emulator and .PRO files

Subject: Re: [stella] Stella Emulator and .PRO files
From: Adam Thornton <adam@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 09:57:31 -0600
On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 11:20:11PM +1100, Andrew Davie wrote:
> cyberstella -3F fukung.bin
>
> That is, run cyberstella, use 3F bankswitching and load the fukung.bin
> binary.
> That seems a reasonable ask, to me.

It would be nice to have bankswitching as a command-line option in
Stella.

> I'm writing to see how others have their emulator hooked into their
> development environment?  Me, I'm using visual studio and I hit f7 to
> compile, or f5 to compile and run.  Compilation happens, Z26 is loaded and
> my game is running almost immediately.  I can't do that with stella... and
> I'd like to be able to.
>
> What are you other developers doing?

When I did FotR, I used emacs to edit the source, dasm to produce the
bin, and stella (since it's a 4K game, no need for a new checksum).  I
use Linux as my desktop environment.  So it was pretty easy to have a
couple windows open.  Edit in emacs, save it, type the up-arrow in the
compilation window, type the up-arrow in the run window.  Emacs
certainly would have made it easy to integrate that much too, but I
really didn't need it.  Coulda done it with a makefile too, with a "make
test" target.  Again, didn't need it.

Here's a shell script to do MD5 checksumming in a format stella likes.
I would assume a batch file would look nearly identical:

#!/bin/sh
echo -n \"Cartridge.MD5\"		\"
echo -n `md5sum $1 | cut -d ' ' -f 1`
echo \"