Re: [stella] Stella Emulator and .PRO files

Subject: Re: [stella] Stella Emulator and .PRO files
From: Erik Eid <eeid@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 20:20:12 -0500
On Tuesday 21 January 2003 07:20, Andrew Davie wrote:
> It's just silly having to recompute the MD5 every time for development.
> THe first example should be sufficient!
> [snip]
> I'm writing to see how others have their emulator hooked into their
> development environment?
> [snip again]
> What are you other developers doing?

I agree that having to regenerate MD5 information - or anything needed for
Stella when your game is a little exotic - is annoying.  It's one of the
reasons I abandoned paddles when developing Euchre.  Stella for Windows (this
was pre-Cyberstella) wouldn't read the paddles unless I modified the .PRO
file.  Granted, I had much better reasons to not use paddles than this, but
it was an annoyance.

When I started work on Euchre, I used Windows 98 SE, EditPlus for editing (a
fantastic, inexpensive editor - I highly recommend it), and primarily Z26 for
emulation.  The latter was nice for the ability to give command line switches
and for the all-important scan line counts.

I later switched to SuSE Linux.  I used Stella for emulation, since that was
the only option available to me, and used NEdit as my editor.  (I have worked
with vi a little, but I didn't want to spend the time learning vi when I had
more to do on Euchre!  :) )  The downside was when I started work on the PAL
version of Euchre, I had to regenerate the MD5 and edit the profile entry
each time.  However, I didn't have to change .stella.pro itself; I could use
a separate profile file.

I'd really like to see Stella get a scan line count.  That is an incredibly
nice feature of Z26 that is so vital to getting the display stable.