Re: [stella] Stella Emulator and .PRO files

Subject: Re: [stella] Stella Emulator and .PRO files
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:13:37 +0100
Hello Andrew,

> It does, and I did.  The advertised "Cartridge.Filename" does not work.
> It's only when I include the .MD5 that Stella will successfully run my
> binary.

Sorry, that was my mistake. I had gotten CyberStella from Manuel's
site, and the early versions didn't have a manual. Since I didn't
have Cyberstella installed anymore, I tried the STELLA.PRO problem
only with an older DOS version of Stella, where the game worked.
Something must have been broken in the code since then.

> Stella flickers considerably less due to its higher frame-rate.  That
alone
> is incentive for me to consider switching.  I'm quite surprised it has a
> higher frame rate - but it does - more than twice as fast, I'd say.  Mind
> you, if Z26 supported the blended frames I suggested a few days ago... I'd
> probably stick with it :)  PS: OS is XP.

That's one of the mysteries in the DOS mode of NT/W2K/XP. As it
seems, z26 isn't able to synch with the video card and uses the
timer synchonization instead. For some reason  it only gets half
the DOS timer frequency in those oprerating systems. You can
compensate this by using the -r120 command line switch. This will
tell z26 to run at double speed, which will result in original
speed on XP. The new Windows version of z26 will work better
in this respect.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg