[stella] New bankswitching method for accessing 32K of data

Subject: [stella] New bankswitching method for accessing 32K of data
From: mickey_m@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 13:23:11 +0000
I am working on implementing a new bankswitching method for my Da Vinci
project and need technical assistance from real VCS programmers.  Basically
the VCS program has to have access to 2000 16 character names, 32K of data.

I was thinking:

    0x1000 - 0x1BFC  straight normal non switched VCS program memory.
    0x1BFD           VCS program writes index high byte of selected game
    0x1BFE           VCS program writes index low byte of selected game
    0x1BFF           Writing X here would load X data bank.
    0x1C00 - 0x1DFF  Data bank X read access.  32, 16 character names.
    0x1E00 - 0x1FFF  Data bank X write access.

I am trying to come up with a way that users can write game select programs
that have access to Da Vinci's file list.  I am not suppling this program, I
have no VCS programming experience, but I want it as an option for people who
are capable to writing a program that will be able to select and edit games on
their VCS.

Will the method above be suitable and efficient enough for a program to
display the 16 character file names and allow a user to select one.

If you are unfamiliar with Da Vinci, check this:
http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20623

Please feel free to correct me if I am way off base on this one.

Thanks,
Vern