Re: [stella] Optimized color reduction approaches

Subject: Re: [stella] Optimized color reduction approaches
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:15:25 +0100
Glenn wrote:
> I think this is how the COLRVIEW technique as used with GR8 on the
> Atari8-bit.  Is that what you are trying to emulate?  It just like a 1-bit
> version of COLRVIEW.

Yup, there is a thread about this on AA:
http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20445
Unfortunately it has become a bit unpleasant lately. :-(

> Another thing you might want to emulate is GED on the Atari8.

Hm, I'm not sure. Technically this shouldn't be a problem at all (doing
it in midscreen with PF graphics by enabling the score color mode in
CTRLPF).

But the result might look vertically separated if you don't choose the
colors quite identical.

> The other thing you should do is come up with a routine that will optimize
> the RGB triad.  L

That's IMO much more promising. You could even generate an extra  RGB tripple
every three (or maybe for every single!) scanline. Just don't make it too different
to the previous one. This might improve the quality significantly, but will
probably require a lot of handprocessing when preparing the data.

Have?fun!
Thomas
Thomas?Jentzsch?????????|?***?Every?bit?is?sacred?!?***
tjentzsch?at?web?dot?de?|

Keine Zeit fur Firlefanz?  Blitz-SMS von WEB.DE FreeMail! Die SMS, die
direkt auf's Display kommt! http://freemail.web.de/features/?mc=021166