Re: [stella] DiscoTech

Subject: Re: [stella] DiscoTech
From: Erik Eid <eeid@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 18:10:52 -0500
On Wednesday 12 February 2003 02:07, Christopher Tumber wrote:
> Working title is currently: DiscoTech

*grin*

> The original idea is to incorperate the Dancing Baby demo and Paul's music
> into a dancing game. [...] There would also be a variety of levels with the
> Dancing Baby as the penultimate level (or something).

I'm certainly happy to see this!  I'm not a big fan of DDR itself - I'm not
coordinated enough with my feet - but I do like its cousin, ParaPara
Paradise.  Half the joy is the music, so with Paul handling that, I have no
worries!

I tried this out on Stella for Linux.  What is already there is impressive.
It's also difficult!  I found myself receiving a "Miss" on several occasions
that I thought I was close.  Could it be a little more forgiving on the early
levels?

Also, why are the arrows going to the left rather than up?  It's kind of an
odd perspective.  I bet it's to have room for the image at the top.

I wonder... as nice as having a dancing image is, would it be better to save
the memory for more music?  I think the dancer is more for the benefit of
spectators than the player - the player should darn well be looking at the
arrows!  :)

Allowing joystick control places one key limitation on the game - you are
either limited to one contact at a time or to adjacent directions.  You
couldn't have opposites like up-and-down or left-and-right.  It's probably
not a big deal.

At any rate, I like what I see so far.  Keep it up!

(Any chance of a soundtrack CD?  :) )