Re: [stella] DiscoTech

Subject: Re: [stella] DiscoTech
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 16:54:20 +0100
> So, Left/Right/Up/Down/Fire (pins #1-4 & 6) are all +5v?

Yes they are, but on the VCS that doesn't matter ...

I ran the whole thing past Alex H a couple weeks ago (I am SO not a hardware
guy and he did great things with the VecLink) and he suggested it would be
trivial given a +5v, however, none of the pinout diagrams I've seen mention
+5v and I haven't had time to get back on the controller interface since..
<<

This is only a problem with the Vectrex. I think it uses 10 or 12 Volts
for the potentiometers in it's joystick. The VCS only uses 5V. The +5V
line is available on pin 7, and pin 8 is GND.

I think you could also use PlayStation dance mats with the VCS. The
PSX controllers also work with 5V and the serial communication is
clocked from the console. It might take some processing time to fully
read the data from a PSX controller, but I don't expect a dancing game
to have too many game calculations going on in the background anyway,
right? In return you would have a controller that still can be
easily bought in many parts of the world. Also PSX extension cables
are also readily available for turning them into an adapter.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg