Re: [stella] Latest 2600 music

Subject: Re: [stella] Latest 2600 music
From: "Paul Slocum" <paul-stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:19:05 -0600
Glenn:
There are countless examples of tunes in the 2600 catalog that were valiant attempts to do workable music, Don't Stop Believin' on Journey Escape, Smurf's song, etc... and all of them feature at least one sour note. I just don't know how you get away with it.

The two songs you mentioned are ports of other songs which are much harder to do than writing original music for the 2600. For my original songs, I select sets of notes that are all pretty close to being in-tune and limit myself to composing with those notes. But when porting songs I avoid playing out of tune notes by switching distortions and/or octaves to get the closest pitch possible. I think most of the old skool drivers just used one distortion, where my driver allows you to change the distortion on each note. Probably my most ambitious port so far is the music from the C64 version of Thrust, and you can hear how I'm switching distortions pretty often on the melodies.

http://www.qotile.net/temp/thrust_main.mp3

Jeremy:
Now that you mention it.. =]
Yes, I'm a musician and 2600 music is something I'd love to get my
hands dirty with.  Coming from a background of MOD trackers, dealing
directly with source (if that's still what's required, or is there a
tool to write songs with your engine?) should be something I can
hopefully adapt to =]

Great!! I write all my music directly in the source. The music is made up of sets of 1 bar patterns that are arranged by fours into 1 measure patterns. Then those patterns are arranged into a sequence. I'll clean up my music guide and put together a new music development kit tonight. I have a music development kit for my old driver, but it's a bit outdated.

BTW: One more short new song with a cool sliding bass:

http://www.qotile.net/temp/pota_title.mp3

-Paul