Re: [stella] Shadow Keep (new game)

Subject: Re: [stella] Shadow Keep (new game)
From: Andrew Towers <mariofrog@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 05:37:02 +1100

> Can you already give some explanations about the various items you have > to pick up? Or do they not work yet? And what is the goal of the game?

There is only the key to pick up, and a couple of test items already
in the player inventory. None of these can be used yet.

At present the exact outcome of the game isn't defined, but I'm
planning "keys and doors" style gameplay, whereby the player must
first explore the game, discover where various items have been
placed, and find the correct use for them in order to progress.
The player can carry only two items at any one time, and can only
drop items on item pads placed in various rooms.

> BTW: The title screen displays only 260 lines.

Fixed - thanks, I should've spotted that straight away. There are
no other changes to the bin - I'm too tired to work on it now.
I hope this isn't too much spam to post a new one.

> Just one note: you should give a realistic "gravity" effect to the
> player when he jumps

I remember this style of floating down from a couple of the 8-bit
games of this type I played years ago, so I just went with that.
Would people prefer more realistic gravity? I need to round out
the top of the jump anyway, the change from jumping to falling
is far too immediate at the moment.

> I notice that when the player touches a ladder he starts to decend
> a little.

Yes, my collision detection is a mixed bag. The ropes and ladders
use the TIA collision registers so the player falls down until
he touches the top rung of the ladder, which makes climbing off
them a pain. I'm not sure what I can do about this - perhaps use
a different collision method, or introduce a fudge at the top of
ladders somehow.. I'll look into it.

- M.