Re: [stella] TIA Hardware Notes

Subject: Re: [stella] TIA Hardware Notes
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 23:58:43 +0100
Hello Andrew,

> Back in mid-2002 when I first picked up the 2600 hobby
> (my life has never been the same since!) I spent a couple
> of weeks buried in the TIA-1A schematics mentioned in
> the archives; I wanted to understand just what makes it
> all work the way it does.

Argh! It took this group years of experimentation to
even notice what TIA effects there are that we don't
understand, and now you figure it all out in just a
couple of weeks meditating over some schematics. ;-)

> At the time I scribbled heaps of notes all over loose
> sheets of paper, I still have a pile of them here
> somewhere :p I also started writing some of this info
> into a document, which has now reached a point where
> it might be useful to someone. I'm not sure that any
> of this isn't already common knowledge - z26 seems
> extremely accurate!

Oh, there certainly are many parts where we are simply
cheating to hide our ignorance. Your description of
the TIA will surely help to improve the emulators in
the future. Thanks a lot for sharing this information!

But you know how this goes. Now you have to deal with
stuff like: "Where is description of the TIA sound
hardware?", "How exactly does CTRLPF and the colour
handling work?", or "Why are some of the last 2600 Jrs
not positioning the score digits in Kool Aid Man
correctly?". ;-)

Thanks, Eckhard Stolberg